The following notice is a requirement of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), produced from a template by the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
An informal Q&A style document is provided here: Privacy Notice Q & A as additional guidance to members.
N Gauge Society Ltd
(updated 5 Nov 2019)
Our contact details.
General enquiries: NGS General Secretary, 28 Cherry Gardens, Trowbridge, BA14 7AU; firstname.lastname@example.org; phone 01225 350465.
Membership data queries: Membership Secretary, 52 Gainsborough Road, Wallasey, CH45 8PT; email@example.com, phone 0151 606 4561
The type of information we have
The NGS currently collect and process the following information:
- Name (title, forename and surname);
- Address (and delivery address if provided);
- Email address(es), if provided; and
- Telephone number(s), if provided.
Collectively this information is referred to as ‘contact information’ below.
How we get the information and why we have it
All of the contact information we process is provided to us directly by you for one of the following reasons:
- When individuals make membership applications;
- when members update us with changed contact information;
- when members make renewal requests; and
- when members purchase NGS products or services from the NGS shop.
Under the GDPR, the lawful basis we rely on for processing this information is: “legitimate interest”.
The NGS has opted for the “legitimate interest” as the lawful basis for processing because, as a private, voluntary membership, not-for-profit organisation, it is legitimate for the society to hold and use contact information to provide the services and products that the members have opted for by becoming members.
What we do with the information we have
The NGS use the contact information that you have given us for three main purposes that the NGS has defined as:
- Membership services – The provision of facilities to join the NGS, renew membership of the NGS and change the level of membership or change member contact information.
- Membership contact – The ability to contact members either as a group or individually for the provision of NGS services. An example of group contact is the distribution of the NGS Journal/Newsletter to members’ addresses on a bimonthly basis. An example of individual contact is sending a reminder to a member that their membership has expired.
- Member order processing – Ensuring that individuals using the NGS shop are current, existing members and validating that any order deliveries are being made to the correct address as specified by the member. Also, to contact individual members with queries or updates relating to orders that they have placed.
The NGS will share this information only with the chosen distributor of the bi-monthly Journal/Newsletter in the form as a mailing list to be used as data for postal address labels.
The NGS does not:
- use automated systems to make credit decisions or perform other financial checks on members.
- create derived or inferred data about members, for example profiling them.
- share contact information with other NGS members or Officers of the NGS who’s role or function does not require the processing of contact data.
- give or sell members’ contact information to other organisations or individuals outside the NGS.
- send or process contact information outside of the EU.
How we store your information
The NGS will keep the members’ contact information for as long as the individual maintains membership of the NGS.
Where membership has lapsed, the NGS will retain the contact information for a period of up to six months to give the lapsed member the ability to re-join the NGS using the same membership number and without having to re-state all the contact information.
Where a lapsed member does not renew or re-join the NGS with six months the contact information is deleted. The deletion process occurs every two months in line with Journal publication.
Your data protection rights
Under the GDPR legislation individuals have the following rights relating to their information:
- The right to be informed – as performed by this notice.
- The right of access – You have the right to ask us for copies of your personal information.
- The right to rectification – You have the right to ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask us to complete information you think is incomplete.
- The right to erasure – You have the right to ask us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances. If you exercise your right to erasure you are excluding yourself from receiving services and/or products from the society and so are effectively leave the NGS.
- The right to restrict processing – You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances. If you exercise your right to restrict processing, you are excluding yourself from receiving services and/or products from the NGS for the period of the restriction
- The right to data portability – You do not have the right to ask that we transfer the information you gave us to another organisation as the NGS uses ‘Legitimate Interest’ as its lawful basis for processing.
- The right to object – You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain circumstances. If you exercise your right to object, you may exclude yourself from receiving services and/or products from the NGS.
- Rights in relation to automated decision making and profiling – the NGS does not use automated decision making and profiling.
You are not required to pay any charge for exercising your rights. If you make a request, we have one month to respond to you.
If you wish to make a request, please contact us at the NGS Membership Secretary, 52 Gainsborough Road, Wallasey, CH45 8PT; firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 0151 606 4561.
How to complain
Complaints should be addressed to either of the Joint Data Controllers at the NGS, who are:
The NGS Membership Secretary, 52 Gainsborough Road, Wallasey, CH45 8PT; email@example.com, phone 0151 606 4561
The NGS Shop Manager, 5 Sarazen Green, Livingston, EH54 8SZ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Or to the NGS General Secretary, 28 Cherry Gardens, Trowbridge, BA14 7AU; email@example.com; phone 01225 350465.
You can also complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office if you are unhappy with how we have used your data.
The ICO’s address:
Information Commissioner’s Office
ICO Helpline number: 0303 123 1113
Our ICO registration reference number is ZA560990